Nurse Practitioner Job Description
Functions independently in an outpatient setting in collaboration with a supervising physician. Provides assessment, diagnosis, treatment, education, referral, and follow-up for uninsured, low-income adults ages 18-64. Nurse Practitioner (NP) is educated and maintains clinical and professional competency as appropriate to the ages, developmental stages, and special needs/health conditions of the population served. Promotes a safe environment and performs all job functions in a safe manner. Functions under the general supervision of the supervising physician and executive director as appropriate.
Assesses health status using advanced physical examination and medical history skills, and designs individualized health care management plans in collaboration with other health professionals
- Manages health care within protocols mutually agreed upon by supervising physician and NP
- Identifies abnormal findings early and initiates appropriate intervention
- Assesses and provides support for the cultural, psychosocial, language and physicals needs unique to each individual patient
- Provides health care management, functioning within the guidelines of the Nursing Practice Act, the Medical Practice Act, other regulatory agencies, and policies and procedures of York County Free Clinic
- Serves as a role model/clinical resource in all aspects of job performance and human relation's skills.
- Demonstrates appropriate critical thinking, interpersonal skills, and the ability to prioritize and concentrate
- Assesses own practice needs as well as those of the other members of the health care team, and develops methods to meet those needs
- Participates on committees, research, and program development and implementation as appropriate
- Participates in Clinic events in the community
Works in a fast-paced outpatient setting under the direct supervision of an off-site licensed physician. Work requires walking, standing, sitting, lifting, reaching, bending, stooping, pushing and pulling. Must be able to lift and support the weight of 75 pounds in handling patients, medical equipment, and supplies. Must speak English fluently and in understandable terms. Must possess intact sense of sight, hearing, smell, touch, and finger dexterity. Must have the ability to react and perform in stressful situations. Must be able to be flexible within the entire practice.
Education, Experience and Certifications
Bachelors of Science degree required. Master’s degree and experience preferred. Current South Carolina licensure to practice as Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner with prescription privileges required. Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider (BLS HCP) from AHA required. Completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program and certification in the area of practice from a nationally recognized certifying body required.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to